Artist….Corita Kent

Google introduced me to a new artist today….Corita Kent!

imagesDoncha love her?

Kent, also known as Sister Mary Corita Kent, was an activist and artist who created art to support civil rights, feminism, and the anti-war movement during the 60’s and 70’s.

images

Her graphic art is bright, colorful, and even makes us think a little bit.

47d747a7bcbb4_58682n

images

Today would have been her 96th birthday.  I think there may be a new Georgetown art project in the works to celebrate the art of Corita Kent!

imgres Corita Kent

8 thoughts on “Artist….Corita Kent

1. Thank you for sharing!! I was just looking for something to inspire my 4-5th grade class this afternoon, as we are finishing up a project and I have about 15 minutes to introduce another idea/project. Love, love, love this!!!!! Penny

2. Thank you so much for sharing this! I didn’t know anything about Sister Corita Kent – such an inspiration. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

I love the idea of using graphics and color. I found one project from Orange Elementary School – Orange VA on Artsonia done with 5th graders. http://www.artsonia.com/search/exhibits.asp?t=Corita++kent I’d like to use the concept with my 8th graders, but I’d like to make it slightly more advanced for middle school art – any suggestions?

3. Hi Alicia – love the idea from Orange Elementary school! Maybe add more of a graphic design spin to the project – focus on students using a specific color family or combination and develop or research their own letter fonts? Would love to see what your 8th graders dream up!