It has been a busy first two weeks in the Georgetown Art Room! All grades began with a project that reviewed the all-important art element of LINE as they embellished the first letter of their names.
We’ve been learning and reviewing Art Room routines and rules to help us keep our room and materials neat and organized.
The Wheel of Talking! Art Room Jobs
Mrs. B. does enjoy a nice neat supply basket!
And…we started some fun projects!
Fourth and Fifth graders assembled their new sketchbooks.
Third graders began some beautiful scientific drawings.
Second graders reviewed warm colors and painted a watercolor sunset.
And First grade…well, we used rulers to draw wonderful straight lines for our Picasso project. Mrs. B. was way too busy with this project to take any pictures, believe me! More later on that one!
Drop by next week for a look at our finished projects – they will be beauties.
The Kindergarten artists have been busy learning about the Swiss painter, Paul Klee. Paul Klee’s paintings were very childlike with bright colors like the color he saw when he visited Africa.
His famous painting entitled Cat and Bird was the inspiration for this project.
After drawing their cat and bird, Kindergarteners chose bright watercolors to add color. They finished their paintings by using a very small paintbrush to outline their lines with black paint. Awesome job Kindergarteners! You have really brightened our hallways at Georgetown.
After learning about the life and art of Henri Rousseau, 2nd graders at Georgetown created these ferocious tigers in the style of Rousseau. They learned that Rousseau liked to paint jungle scenes with wild animals even though he had never been to the jungle or had ever seen a wild animal. First the artists drew the tiger and painted it. Then they painted and cut out flowers and leaves to create a jungle scene. These tigers turned out great even though none of these artists had ever been to the jungle either!
See more of our ferocious tigers at our Artsonia On-Line Art Gallery!
There are lots of tiger projects out there on art blogs – we’d like to thank Alum Creek Elementary School’s Artsonia page for our project inspiration! See their page here.
We are busy starting new projects….and finishing up some pieces for display in our hallways. First grade artists continued exploring pattern and got to do a little painting as they created these fun pattern fish. They found out that a fish is pretty easy to draw, too!
Third grade artists learned about two important American artists – “Action Jackson” Pollock and the creator of the Blue Dog series, Louisana artist George Rodrigue. Their colored pencil dogs are framed with our version of a Jackson Pollock drip painting, created with string dipped in paint. They really enjoyed the painting process; to quote one of my third graders: “This was the best project ever!”
Painting in the style of Jackson Pollock’s “Autumn Rhythm”.
Parents…this “Blue Dog” project can be found on our Artsonia on-line art gallery. Students have also written artist statements about their work, so be sure to check them out!
Ask a third grade Georgetown artist about landscapes….I’ll bet they can tell you all about how to create a beautiful landscape! They may tell you about the foreground, middle ground, and horizon line…or about using warm and cool colors to emphasize different parts of the picture, and maybe even how to choose the right brush when painting a watercolor landscape. Here are their recent winter landscapes – more can be found in our Artsonia Online Art Gallery.
This project was inspired by a post on the blog “First Grade ONEderful” and the work of artist Ted Harrison.
Kindergarten artists had fun creating their own dots with watercolor after reading The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds.
Third graders recently completed these sweet little watercolor frogs – perfect to celebrate the spring frogs that are peeping outside the art room door!
Their watercolor froggies were painted on a background that was brushed with blue watercolor and dabbed with paper towel for some nice texture.
Dots were added to the frogs with lemon juice that was dropped on the frogs and blotted with tissue; this left a lighter “frog spot”. Interestingly – we used two brands of green watercolor, and one brand would not “blot”…so we improvised and painted on white spots with tempera paint too.
Our final step was to add a lily pad and flower border.