Six Days of Clay….(Or, Oh My Achin’ Back!)

Today we wrapped up six straight days of clay projects in the art room – that’s over 500 projects and about 700 pounds of clay, whew!  And the work isn’t over yet…next it is on to bisque firing, glazing, and firing again.  (Sorry Georgetown…the electric bill for November and December might be a smidge higher than usual!)

Here’s an early peek at the clay projects Georgetown’s artists created this month.  Each grade learned a new clay building skill, including pinch pots, creating texture, rolling coils, and throwing a slab (always a favorite with 5th grade!)

Stay tuned for pictures of the finished pieces.

IMG_0980 IMG_0979 1st grade texture pinch pots

IMG_0889 IMG_0976 3rd grade coil turtles

IMG_0983 IMG_0977 4th grade lions

IMG_0982 IMG_0978 5th grade slab mirrors

IMG_0981 2nd grade frogs

4 thoughts on “Six Days of Clay….(Or, Oh My Achin’ Back!)

1. Hey Mrs. Brouwer!

Those clay lions are amazing! The fourth graders are doing some incredible things with you in art!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Bowen

2. Hello! I absolutely loooove your blog! I am a new art elementary teacher in Charlotte, NC and am always looking for new & exciting projects. I am doing clay soon with K-3rd and was wondering how you organize the clay projects by name/class/grade when putting them into the kiln and taking them out. Thanks! 🙂

Kim

3. Awww, thanks, Kim! I hope your year is going well! Well, here’s how it works for me with our clay projects. I cut lots of small strips of paper for the kids to write their names on; when they finish their project, they put the slip of paper on their project – if it is a bowl, they just set the name tag in the bowl; otherwise they stick the slip on the wet clay piece. Here comes the time consuming part – I write the kids’ name/grade/class on the pieces later, before they are totally dry. I would love to have the kids sign their own names on their pieces, but have had so many difficulties with illegible names, missing names/classes/grades, that it is just easier to do this part myself. For my kinders, I print labels with their names and have the kids find their name on the label sheet and stick it on their piece, since I can’t read their writing sometimes! Once I have the names/grade/class written on their clay projects, I just load up the kiln…I don’t try to keep classes separate; when I unload the kiln later, a quick check tells me what grade/class the project belongs to, and it is placed on the clay cart on shelves that I’ve labeled by grade/class. Honestly the time spent writing this information myself on the bottom of the clay piece saves me time in the long run; there is never a question of who the piece belongs to later. Hope that helps!