Kandinsky Project

Georgetown fourth grade artists are finishing up a big Kandinsky project this week.  The  project is stunning, and we can’t wait to hang these in the hallway!

After looking at Kandinsky’s Several Circles No. 323 and discussing abstract art, we got started.

Several Circles No. 323

We began by thinking about texture and color as we created our background.

texture background

Next came tempera paint in rainbow order, with a little white thrown in for playing with tints.

painting – rainbow order

We traced circles and painted over our marker lines with black tempera paint.

tracing circles and painting with tempera

Then – more color, this time thinking about warm and cool colors as we painted the circles.

One more look at Kandinsky’s circle painting and a big discussion about eye path and leading the viewer through the artwork by using shape and color….and finally, cutting our circles, carefully placing them on the background, and gluing the circles down.  The results….stunning.

Assembling Kandinsky project

Finished pieces!

This project was inspired by “Brooke’s Quilt #3” …. check it out, it is lovely!

11 thoughts on “Kandinsky Project

1. Love this project, but I don’t understand why you created a textured background, only to completely cover it with tempera paint…. Am I missing something?

2. Well….there was a little learning curve on that one! The colored texture helped the kids keep the rainbow order straight when they painted, and it was SUPPOSED to show through the tempera paint to give the painting some added dimension. It does show through somewhat when you look closely…but not as well as I had hoped. I would probably skip that step next time, although the kids really enjoyed creating the texture, and it was a helpful guide for them as they painted.

3. Love how bright these turned out!! Thanks for sharing…Can’t wait to add a splash of this to my art study with my classes.

4. If you want to keep the texture created with the crayons, simply have the kids paint over them with liquid watercolors or pan watercolors. You will be able to see the textures better. Thanks for this idea, a great way to teach color!