Alexander Calder Project – (we love junk!)

Fourth grade artists have been learning about the sculptures of Alexander Calder.  After we read the fun book “Sandy’s Circus”, my fourth graders were jazzed to try making a wire figure and build something out of junk like Calder did.

Sandy's Circus

So…we used twistee wire to make a figure.  Big fun!  And then it was on to the junk – and this is where Mrs. Brouwer’s famous  “Dead Marker Box” came in handy.  For some reason I have a problem with throwing away all those pretty markers that no longer work – so my kids know to toss them into the Dead Marker Box that lives under our supply rack.  My first graders were happy to help us out by sorting the markers into three piles  – warm colors, cool colors, and neutral colors – (this was a great review for their Picasso project!)

The next class was spent making a junk relief-sculpture background for our wire figures.  My fourth graders had a blast scrounging through the boxes, searching for just the right colors and sizes for their sculptures.  The results of our little Calder junk adventure are pretty cool!  (And my dead marker box is empty, ready for more junk!)

Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder Fourth Grade Calder

5 thoughts on “Alexander Calder Project – (we love junk!)

1. I am soooo glad someone else out there hates to throw away markers! I keep their lids if I don’t keep the entire marker. Only another art teacher understands the things we hoard:-) Just look at the wonderful art your students made from cast offs…amazing! I have a reputation at my school, and I am proud of it…take it to the art teacher, she wants and keeps everything! Some things go directly in the trash, but most can be put to good use. Some folks laugh, but I am the first one they come to when they want something a bit odd or creative. Great work here! Best, Vicki

2. Thanks Vicki – yep, I try to only hang on to the goodies that I’ll really use, and the rule is….if I don’t use it within the school year, then I can pitch it without too much remorse. I’m often inspired by the “junk” given to me from my fellow teachers!

3. Cute idea, Josey! I usually save just the marker caps, not the whole marker. But now I saw an idea that I LOVE that I’ll post about. It involves soaking the dead markers to retrieve the last of the ink, and makes a beautiful liquid watercolor for free!!! So I’ve started doing that, but definitely throw them away after because they get messy-ish. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas.

4. Josette,

I love your ideas for using dead markers! I could kick myself for throwing them away all these years……It’s ironic because I rarely throw ANYTHING away(much to my principal’s chagrin!) but now I will start saving them because I really would like to try your Calder project. My blog is in it’s infancy stage so give me time and I hope it will evolve. Thanks for all of your great project ideas.

:)Pat