Our Art Making Machine Keeps Churning On!

Well, the school year may coming to a halt soon, but we are still  creating art in the art room!  Here are some of our recent projects.

I just love this book: Only One You by Linda Kranz – the little stone fish paintings are fabulous, and her message about reaching for your dreams inspired my 3rd graders to create some special art pieces.

We created some waves with tempera paint and learned a little more about mixing tints – always a thrill!  Then we brainstormed advice and words of wisdom for the art room to add to our artwork, and finished up with some sweet little rainbow scratch paper fishies.

I was so impressed with the jewels of advice that my kiddos came up with to add to their work:

Be enlightened!  Make things work!  Be brave!  Treat art like GOLD!  BE the way you want to be treated!  Honor your artwork, hang it up!  Make your art colorful!  Say good things to your table mates about their art! Fill up your paper, make things BIG!  Try to make your OWN thing!

Only One You Only One You Only One You Only One You Only One You - Be Spontaneous!

Third Grade artists have also been learning about the artwork of George Rodrigue and LOVE his book, “Why Is Blue Dog Blue?”   Usually I like to do a George Rodrigue project when we study color – but time got away from me this year, so we did little doggies and colored them with crayons – so cute!  AND, since we are celebrating Just Write week at school, we decided our Rodrigue Dogs have something to say….and the thought bubbles tell us everything on the minds of our dogs!

Blue Dogs/RodrigueRodrigue Dog Rodrigue Dog Rodrigue Dog

And – a little something from the Kindergarten Crew too!  We’ve been reviewing all the shapes and lines that we’ve learned how to make in art this year….and put them on our turtle shells that we drew this week!  Then, just for fun, we painted a bit with water on top of our water base markers….and, viola!  Instant watercolors!  We were thrilled to learn this new technique to make a little more color!

Kindergarten Pattern Turtles Kindergarten pattern turtles Kindergarten Pattern Turtles